Amalgam Medicine Hat
Understanding the Versatile Dental Amalgam
Dental amalgam fillings, often referred to as "silver" fillings, stand as the most prevalent type of filling employed in Canada. These fillings, notable for their silver hue, are primarily used to restore posterior teeth. Comprising a blend of metals including mercury, silver, copper, and tin, amalgam fillings offer a durable solution for dental restoration.
Advantages of Amalgam Fillings
- Cost-Effective: Amalgam fillings are the most affordable option among filling types.
- Longevity: They boast an extended lifespan, ensuring lasting dental restoration.
- Efficient Placement: As direct fillings, amalgam restorations typically require a single dental visit for placement.
Considerations to Keep in Mind
- Aesthetic Consideration: The silver color of amalgam fillings may not align with the preferences of those seeking a more "natural" appearance.
- Mercury Release: Chewing may release trace amounts of mercury from the filling. For the majority of individuals, this minimal mercury release is not a cause for concern. Studies indicate that amalgam fillings are not associated with adverse health effects. They have been used for over 150 years without causing illness.
- Pregnancy Precaution: Health Canada advises pregnant women in need of fillings to consider postponing the procedure until after childbirth. While urgent dental work may necessitate alternative filling options, your dentist can provide guidance based on your specific situation.
Book an appointment with Dr. Saad Omaiche at Tori Plaza Dental, situated at 40 Strachan Ct SE, Unit 3 in Medicine Hat, AB, to discuss your dental needs, including the suitability of amalgam fillings for your specific case.